SCHOOL COMMITTEE: 4/27 Meeting Notes
Updated: May 10, 2021
The school budget was approved by the Town Council at their 4/26 meeting. It will have to be adjusted based on actual state aid received (@ $186k difference).
Due to the loosening of COVID restrictions:
• The next School Committee meetings (5/11 and 5/25) will be conducted in person at the NKHS auditorium.
• As restrictions continue to loosen, stay tuned for more good news about Prom and Graduation!
• Davisville/Quidnesset Art teacher Danielle Singh received a 2021 Art Education Leadership Award from Artsonia.
• 4th Grade Distance Learning Coordinator Kristen Beland was selected from a national pool of applicants for the Teach Plus Phoenix Project.
• NKHS was ranked #5 by US News & World Reports for RI public high schools.
A vaccination clinic for students 16-18 will be conducted in conjunction with the NKFD similar to those held for teaching staff.
• a bid for services for an Educational Facility Master Plan to be completed by 12/31/21, according to the stipulations of a $150k RIDE grant. This plan will outline a comprehensive update of our current school buildings in order to comply with our 21st century educational vision.
• the membership of a new Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion advisory subcommittee, which includes parents, staff members, and at least one student. In response to public comment, Chairman Blasbalg and Superintendent Auget read aloud some of the 3/23 meeting minutes establishing the committee and noted that all meetings of this advisory subcommittee—part of a national effort to address DEI issues—are Open Meetings, with agendas available to the public in advance on the School Committee website.
• two new members of the Building/Facilities subcommittee due to the recent deaths of two members and the upcoming out-of-state relocation of a third.